From the Mayfield Messenger - December 27, 1969 --
"The city of Mayfield has been served with water and electric power as far back as July 30, 1891, when the Graves County Water and Light Company was organized and granted a franchise for 25 years by The City of Mayfield.
"The company was then acquired by the Ky-Tenn Light and Power Company. Tennessee Valley Authority was the next owner. Although TVA absorbed them, K-T Light and Power continued to operate the system until June 10, 1942. At that time TVA released control to The City of Mayfield who now owns and operates the system.
"So, with the exception of the first 72 years since the beginning of the Jackson Purchase (in 1819), electric power has always been supplied to Mayfield."